A boat collision occurs when a boat or personal watercraft (PWC) collides with one another or collides with an object such as a rock, land, buoy or dock. Colliding with another boat should be avoided at all costs, and it’s the boat operators responsibility to ensure a collision does not occur.
Follow these steps to prevent a boat collision:
- Know and follow the rules of navigation for the waterway
- Keep a visual on navigational aids
- Do not boat in inclement weather, including fog
- On a busy day, dedicate one person to be a lookout for other boats
- Maintain a safe speed, depending on other boat traffic and weather
- Perform a 360 degree look before making a turn
- Keep a pair of binoculars on board
- Ensure your navigational lights are operable
- Never operator a boat while intoxicated or fatigued
By following these steps, will you keep your life, and the lives of those on board, safe. Happy boating!